Friday 31 January 2014

16-03-2014 Arnhem Theater Musis Sacrum Schouwburg/ Kleine zaal

SPRING TIDE




Choreographer: Jens Van Daele

Assistance: Clare Dowling
Costums: Mirte Engelhard
Dramaturgical advice: Dorine Cremers

DANCERS

Yeli Beurskens, Patricia Deutekom, Wojciech Grudzinski, Denise Klevering, Jouke Rouwhorst, Felipe Salazar

REALIZATION AND LIVE MUSIC

Ensemble Batida

One of the most interesting piece I’ve never seen and fascinated me the most is "SPRING TIDE" by Jens Van Daele. Spring tide is a piece that combines dance and theatre with live music of love and hate. The story is about a game of attraction and repulsion between the positive thoughts of men and the dark fantasies of women.

It’s accompanied by two percussionists, two pianists, and a typewriter; suddenly voices whisper texts in French. Spring tide shows many duets that are constantly repeated throughout the piece. The language of movement that the choreographer has created with dancers is fast, robust and complete, he uses a lot of resistance.

The dancers performed the piece with  ​​loose hair that was waving menacingly around without making any noise. What fascinated me the most was the strong dynamic of the movements and the eccentricity of the choreography.  This different, intense, poetic, and energetic piece combined with the strong live music and the lights created an extraordinary atmosphere which made me feel in another world, I was awake all the time waiting for the next step. 

The build up was amazing, the tension shocking, the dancers performed the piece exceptionally.

The one I appreciated was Patricia Deutekom and I suppose she could have been the main character of the piece, considering her strong physicality, the clarity of her movements. I liked the way she approached the audience, performing the piece.

The interesting thing is that a few months ago I had the opportunity to do a workshop at school with Patricia and Denise in which we did a small piece picked up from “SPRING TIDE”. We worked in pairs to create a small duet in which one of us was the “active” person and the other one the “passive” person.
I enjoyed the experience of partnering, the new style and the dynamic of the movements because it was something completely new for me.
I hope that one day, I’ll have the opportunity to join Jens Van Daele projects and to become part of this rising company.

VIDEO
Gilda Federica Cesario DM1


No comments:

Post a Comment