Sunday 19 February 2017




Dario Tortorelli – D NO BODY 5



 

Almost a year ago, I saw the performance from Dario Tortorelli for the first time. It was in Conny Janssen’s theatre in Rotterdam. I was absolute flattered by the performance, the movement, the light, it was all such an experience. Although at that time I didn’t know anything about the background of the piece. It was 2016, at “De Nederlandse Dansdagen” when I saw the performance for the second time. I was actually really happy when I noticed it was that performance that I could see again. Again it was a pleasure to see.


Sunglasses laying in circles, around and facing a black helmet on a turning platform. Romeo Heart started his trip, as a setup or an installation. In the middle as a statue, with all the sunglasses facing the monument. Dario says, “He is a character born out of my alter ego, and then ended up becoming the character that encompasses everything, because through him I convey my ideas, my moods, for instance my inspirations drawn from the world of cinema, music, and I invited others to interpret him. The character emerged slowly, it wasn’t premeditated. It came a little by little, I think the idea/desire that you have when you’re a child is to have magical powers, of being a pop star… I drew from there to build him up.”  Dario Tortorelli started a series of solo performances with the aim to recreate the ideal self through influences of others. Society is pushing us to adapt to a reality without discovering ourselves.
 
Also the audience got sunglasses that made them being a part of the performance. The Trip of Romeo continues in this performance with a strong image and funky music.

With D NO BODY 5, the Italian choreographer wants to explore new directions of presenting an image by transforming the body in abstract ways.


The performance really attracts me because of the futuristic feeling, the mysterious factor and the not-knowing what comes next, I even was doubting the second time when I saw it. The use of the strobes is really good; it sets moments that are not far from each other apart. The contrast of dynamics, the slow motion movement that creates a mysterious not-knowing image, and the fast moving funky dance moves, for my feeling it just fits really well in the total image of the performance. In the whole performance there was some factor that made it all really unpredictable and mind blowing.


Joris Vos

Choreographer and initiator: Dario Tortorelli

Performer: Adi Amit

Light Design: Remko Van Wely

Music: Röyksopp & Robyn, David Bowie

Date: 08-10-2016




No comments:

Post a Comment